Sunday, July 27, 2014

Braised Red Cabbage with Apples

I saw the cutest little red cabbage at the market and decided to bring it home with me. Hmmmm, now what? I found this recipe after cruising around online and of course tweaked it for what I had on hand. The fresh dill is important so if you don't have that, don't bother.

1 small adorable red cabbage, cored and sliced into slim wedges
1 large granny smith apple, peeled, cored and sliced
1 large white onion, sliced
2 T fresh dill, chopped
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup chicken broth
salt and pepper to taste
2 T sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 T butter

In large stockpot,  melt butter and sauté onion and apple for 2 minutes. Add the cabbage, dill, bay leaves and chicken broth--stir around for about five minutes. Add the salt and pepper, the sugar and the vinegar and simmer the mixture for 20-25 minutes. I served this with salmon and have enough left over to serve again this week....maybe with pork chops??


3 comments:

  1. This looks good, and makes me think of The Old German. Your notes also make me want to rebelliously make it without dill.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you rebel you :-) everything you cook is delicious-with or without dill

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good. I need to visit and enjoy some of your delicious looking meals! (Dyanne)

    ReplyDelete